Simple Ways to Extend Your External Hard Disk Drive's LifespanOctober 13, 2015 9:34 pm
No one wants to lose precious data. Unfortunately, people have become heavily reliant on technology, so even business owners these days run the risk of losing data due to corrupted files, faulty disks, or hard drive crashes. It is time-consuming and stressful, and data recovery is not always possible.
Here are ways to extend the life of your hard disk drive and prevent unwanted failures.
First, read the manual from your hard drive’s manufacturer and follow safety handling directions. Remember, storage devices are designed to be durable, but not indestructible. Here are some safe handling tips:
- Keep the storage device out of extreme temperatures, i.e. under direct sunlight.
- Maintain proper power management – don’t keep your hard drive running all the time.
- Monitor hard drive performance – watch out for write errors, fluctuating speeds, and other errors which should signal warning alarms in your head.
- Handle with care – avoid moving your storage device while it’s working.
For extending the life of your portable hard drive, follow these tips.
- Keep your hard drive in a soft or hard case, especially when traveling with it stuffed in your bag. This will help prevent it from getting damaged by strong impact.
- When your hard drive is at work, make sure it is situated on a level, dry, and non-slippery surface.
- Before unplugging, use the remove safely option rather than abruptly disconnecting the device.
- When unplugging, pull the cable connector gently and don’t yank it out.
- Inspect your hard drive’s USB plug to check for dust or corrosion which may be forming.
Activ8me is dedicated to bringing you practical tech advice for your internet-connected home. To know the best Internet plans for your home, you can visit our Plan Guru or call 13 22 88 and our friendly representatives will guide you in connecting the best nbn plan suited for you and your home.Tags: External Hard Disk Drive, external hard drive, external hdd, hard dish, hard disk drive, hard disk drive maintenance, hard drive maintenance, hdd, hdd maintenance