Metered & Unmetered Data
On Sky Muster™ Plus only metered data use counts towards your monthly data allowance.
Peak data usage time 7:00am – 1:00am(local time). Off-peak data usage time 1:00am – 7:00am (local time)
What’s Metered Data?
Metered Data Usage (Downloads and uploads) counts towards your monthly data allowance.
This includes data for:
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)-use
- Eg. Netflix™, Stan™, ABC iView™, Foxtel™ and YouTube™.
What’s Unmetered Data?
Unmetered Data Usage (Downloads and uploads) DON’T count towards your monthly data allowance.
Unmetered Data Usage includes ALL other activities
Unmetered activities are not affected if you’ve used all of your monthly metered data allowance.
- Web browsing
- Online Shopping
- Emails (eg. Outlook and Gmail)
- Range of Social Media (eg. Facebook & Instagram/IGLive)
- Music Streaming (eg. Spotify & YouTube Music)
- Cloud-Sharing Downloads and Uploads (eg. Dropbox & Google Drive)
- OS and Software Updates for Phones and PCs
- Gaming Software Updates (eg. Xbox & PS4)
- WiFi Calling & Facebook Messenger
- Video-Conferencing (eg. Zoom & Skype)
nbn™ has made changes to nbn™ Sky Muster™ Plus, effective from 1st April 2020.
For More Information on these changes, see Our Latest Blog Here.
How does the data allowance work?
- Services have a certain amount of metered Peak and metered Off Peak data for use each month.
- Peak time is from 7am – 1am local time, Off Peak being from 1am – 7am local time.
- ONLY metered data use (download and upload) counts towards your monthly data allowance
nbn’s™ Fair Use Policy applies to all nbn™ Sky Muster™ services.
Unfair use of this service includes an end user routinely transferring, or knowingly allowing the routine transfer of large files greater than 20MB via email; downloading, or knowingly allowing the downloading of software updates for more than 20 unique devices; and other use of the service deemed unfair use by nbn co.
What speeds can I expect?
The maximum access rate of your service is 25/5Mbps, however your service has the ability to burst above 25/5Mbps subject to available network capacity. It’s important to note that neither of these speeds are indicative of the typical speeds your service will achieve; they are a description of the technical limitations on the nbn™ network your service is provided over.
Metered usage will be shaped to speeds of 512/256kbps in your Peak time and 2048/512kbps in your Off Peak time once you exceed your monthly data allowance.
Peer to Peer traffic, operating system updates, software/application updates, gaming software updates, cloud storage platforms and any other internet activity related to applications which nbn™ cannot identify may be shaped to a maximum of 256Kbps between 4pm – 11pm at nbn™’s discretion.
Speeds may be affected by various factors including environmental, equipment (hardware and software), settings and positioning of in-home Wi-Fi modems, network and congestion issues, time of use and the number of devices simultaneously using your service.
We will be able to assist you with measuring your speeds once the service has been connected at your address.
Is Sky Muster™ Plus ‘better’ than Sky Muster™?
That depends on your household usage habits, so it’s different for everyone.
If you only want a service to stream Netflix™, a standard Sky Muster™ service might be better as it offers greater Peak and Off-Peak data to use for ‘metered’ data use, as compared to a Sky Muster™ Plus service of the same price.
Alternatively, Sky Muster™ Plus is great if you tend to do a lot of ‘unmetered’ online activities and don’t want those activities to be shaped (slowed down) if you use up all of your monthly data allowance.
If you’re unsure which is best for you, call our friendly Australian based team on 13 22 88 and we’ll help chat you through the pros-and-cons of both services and how they relate to your personal online activities.
If you have any existing Sky Muster™ service, with us or another ISP, switching to Sky Muster™ Plus can be done over the phone by calling our Australian team on 132288 or by ordering online.
Partner Service to Use Off-Peak Data
Every new and existing Activ8me Sky Muster™ customer is eligible to take up a 3-month free trial offer of PlayOn Cloud through a partnership with PlayOn.TV Australia.
PlayOn Cloud is a service which makes it easy to use your Off Peak Data for Netflix™ and other popular streaming sites.
How Does It Work?
- A cloud-based video-recording service used with an active subscription for services including Netflix™, YouTube™, Amazon Prime Video™, Disney+™, ABC iView™ and more!
- Choose what shows are recorded to the Cloud using the PlayOn Cloud app for Android and iOS devices
- The PlayOn Cloud app (or PC Downloader) can download your chosen recordings automatically using your Off Peak Data (1am – 7am local time)
Exclusive Activ8me Offer includes:
- 3-month Free Trial
- 21 recording credits per month
- No billing details needed
- No obligation to continue with PlayOn once your 3 month free trial ends
Don’t waste all that Off Peak Data included in your Sky Muster or Sky Muster Plus plan!
All you need to take advantage of this offer is an active Activ8me Sky Muster™ or Sky Muster™ Plus service ID.